- Location Information
15031 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills, CA 91345
P: (818) 496-4410
F: (818) 496-4758
Your first appointment
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment and bring the following:
- Other doctor’s names and phone numbers
- Insurance cards
- Medical history
- List of medications you are currently taking
- Driver’s license, military ID or passport for photo identification
We treat cancer by creating an environment of wellness surrounding the patient with exceptional medical professionals, vast clinical expertise, and technical resources. We become part of every community we serve and work with other organizations to bring awareness and education to those affected by cancer.
We have 7 locations including Beverly Hills, Glendale, Los Angeles, Santa Clarita, Sherman Oaks, Mission Hills, and West Hills.
Dr. Lauren Lukas VanderSpek
Lauren VanderSpek, MD
Dr. Lauren VanderSpek is the Medical Director of Mission Hills Radiation Therapy Center and a Radiation Oncologist practicing at Providence Holy Cross in Mission Hills, California. She received her medical degree from the University of Toronto and completed Radiation Oncology residency training at the University of Western Ontario where she served as Chief Resident. She is board certified in Radiation Oncology with the American Board of Radiology and with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. VanderSpek's areas of clinical interest include stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT), image-guided radiation therapy/intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IGRT/IMRT), as well as treatment of primary and metastatic central nervous system, hepatobiliary, gastrointestinal, lung, gynecologic, and breast cancers. Specialized areas of interest also include accelerated partial breast irradiation, liver-directed treatment (Y-90) of primary liver cancer and liver metastases, brachytherapy for gynecologic cancers, Xofigo for prostate cancer, and Optune (tumor-treating fields) for primary brain tumors.
Dr. VanderSpek has published research focusing on primary and metastatic central nervous system cancer, as well as cervical cancer brachytherapy, secondary malignancy, and in-situ squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. She has presented at numerous society meetings including the American Society for Radiation Oncology, World Congress of Brachytherapy, and Society for Neuro-Oncology.
Undergraduate: Biophysics, University of Western Ontario
Medical School: University of Toronto
Residency: Radiation Oncology, The University of Western Ontario
• American Board of Radiology in Radiation Oncology
• Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
• American College of Radiology
• Yeung T.P., Yartsev S., Lee T.Y., Wong E., He W., Fisher B., VanderSpek, L.L., Macdonald D., Bauman G. Relationship of computed tomography perfusion and positron emission tomography to tumor progression in malignant glioma. J. Med Radiat Sci. 2014 Feb;61(1):4-13.
• A.Hallock, K. Surry, D. Batchelar, L. VanderSpek, J. Yuen, A. Hammond, J. Radwan, B. Yaremko, G. Rodrigues, D. DSouza. An early report on outcomes after CT based HDR brachytherapy for locally advanced cervix cancer: a single institution experience. Practical Radiation Oncology. 2011 Jul-Sep;1(3):173-81.
• S.K. Nath, J.D. Lawson, D.R. Simpson, L. VanderSpek, J.Z. Wang, J.F. Alksne, J, Ciacci, A.J. Mundt, K.T. Murphy, Single-isocenter frameless intensity-modulated stereotactic radiosurgery for simultaneous treatment of multiple brain metastases; clinical experience. Int J of Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Sep 1:78(1):91-7.
• L. VanderSpek, G. Bauman, J.Z, Wang, S. Yartsev, C. Menard, Y.B. Cho, A.J. Mundt, J.D. Lawson, K.T. Murphy. Dosimetric comparison of Intensity-Modulated Radiosurgery and Helical Tomotherapy for the treatment of multiple intracranial metastases. Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment. 2009;8:361-368.
• L. VanderSpek, B. Fisher, G. Bauman, D. Macdonald. 3D Conformal Radiotherapy and Cisplatin for Recurrent Malignant Glioma. Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 2008; 35: 57-64
• LA Lukas VanderSpek, GR Pond, W Wells, RW Tsang. Radiation therapy for Bowens disease of the skin. Int J of Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005 Oct 1:63 (2): 505-10.
• LA Lukas, KJM Surry, TM Peters. Temperature dosimetry using MR relaxation characteristics of poly(vinyl alcohol) cryogel (PVA-C). Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 46:1006-1013, Nov. 2001.
• Hallock, L. VanderSpek, Recurrent Malignant Glioma: Treatment with 3D Conformal Radiotherapy and Systemic Therapies, Tumors of the Central Nervous System 2011, Vol 2, Part 2, 215-227.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
• 2008 - RTOG ACR Radiation Oncology Resident Training Fellowship, Radiation Oncology Resident Research Award Competition
• 2007 - Ed Brecevic Award for Excellence in Patient-Centered Compassionate Care
• 2006 - Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada Grant
• 2004 - Beatrice Mandelbaum Cancer Research Memorial Award
• 2002 - Summer Research Scholarship Angiogenesis Research
• 2001 - Summer Research Scholarship - Central Nervous System Regeneration Research
• 2000 - Drs. Ann and Carl Witus Award for high academic standing; Hargreaves Summer Studentship Award Image-Guided Neurosurgery Research
• 1998-2000 - Deans Honor List, The Ivan C. Rand Continuing Scholarship
• 1998 - The Andrew and Sarah Hamilton Scholarship for academic achievement
Dr. Caitlin Gomez
Caitlin Gomez, MD
Dr. Gomez is a Radiation Oncologist that practices at both Mission Hills and Santa Clarita Radiation Therapy Centers. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. Dr. Gomez continued studying at UCLA where she obtained her Medical Degree. She then completed her internship at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center. Dr. Gomez completed her residency training in Radiation Oncology and served as Chief Resident at UCLA. During her residency, she was a resident informaticist for her department, working on various projects to improve patient care and communications through the use of the electronic medical record system. Dr. Gomez also participated in the Housesta Quality Improvement Council and led a quality improvement project.
Dr. Gomez has presented research findings at multiple conferences and has published papers on breast and prostate cancer management. She is experienced in the use of several radiation therapy modalities, including Image-Guided/Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IGRT/IMRT), Stereotacic RadioSurgery (SRS), Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) and Brachytherapy for gynecologic cancers. Dr. Gomez is committed to compassionate, patient-centered care.
Dr. Gomez speaks English and Spanish.
Undergraduate: University of California, Los Angeles
Medical School: University of California, Los Angeles
Internship: Internal Medicine, Olive View - UCLA Medical Center
Residency: Radiation Oncology, University of California, Los Angeles
• American Board of Radiology (Therapeutic Radiology)
• Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society
• Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society, CA Epsilon
• Eta Kappa Nu, Electrical and Computer Science Engineering Honor Society
• Cheng H, Gomez C, Khan S, Wali S. A purple rash. Lancet. 2011;378(9801):1526
• Gomez C, Wu J, Pope W, Vinters H, de Salles A, Selch M. Pineocytoma with diffuse dissemination to the leptomeninges. Rare Tumors. 2011;3:163-5
• Gomez C, Shah C, McCloskey S, Foster N, Vicini F. The role of radiation therapy after nipple-sparing mastectomy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; DOI 10.1245/s10434-013-3446-z
• Gomez C, Xu X, Qi S, Wang PC, Kupelian P, Steinberg M, King C. Dosimetric Parameters Predict Quality of Life Outcomes for Patients Receiving Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2015; DOI 10.1016/j.prro.2015.01.006
• Yang Y, Cao M, Kaprealian T, Sheng K, Gao Y, Han F, Gomez C, Santhanam A, Tenn S, Agazaryan N, Low D, Hu P. UTE-MRI-based Treatment Simulation and Patient Setup for Radiation Therapy of Brain Cancer. Accepted for publication to Medical Physics.
Dr. Daniel Bernad
Daniel M. Bernad, MD
Dr. Bernad completed his undergraduate at McGill University in Montreal, Canada with a BSc in Physiology and a BA in Psychology. He continued his education with an MSc in Neuroscience at the University of Oxford and an MPhil in Bioscience Enterprise at the University of Cambridge.
Dr. Bernad completed his medical degree at the University of Ottawa and his Radiation Oncology training at McGill University. During his training he served as chief resident, was an RTOG/ACR resident training fellow, designed several clinical trials that have been awarded national and international grants, published in various high impact journals, co-authored a book chapter in an international radiation oncology textbook, and presented work on the effects of radiation on neurocognitive function at several scientific meetings. His areas of expertise include stereotactic radiosurgery, stereotactic ablative radiosurgery, and the use of superficial x-rays /orthovoltage in treating skin malignancies.
His main interests outside of the medical field include traveling, music, and sports. He was a member of the Olympic development soccer team, represented his country at the Maccabiah games, and was inducted into the McGill University hall of fame for being part of the national championship winning soccer team.
Dr. Bernad also speaks Spanish, French, Hungarian, and Hebrew.
Medical School: University of Ottawa
Internship: University of Oxford
Residency: McGill University
Fellowship: McGill University
• Radiation Oncology
• 2014 – Bernad DM (2014) Analysis of Structural Changes in Hippocampal and Amygdala Volume after Systemic Therapy and Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation in Patients with Limited Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. Manuscript written. In preparation for submission.
• 2014 – Bernad DM (2014) A Plot Study on the Effects Of Low-Dose Hippocampal Radiation Exposure On Memory in Patients Receiving Radiosurgery For Benign Neurological Disorder. Manuscript written. In preparation for submission.
- 3-D Conformal (photon and electron)
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- High dose rate (HDR) vaginal brachytherapy
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Optune (non-invasive, portable electric field generator)
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT/RapidArc)
NEW PATIENT CHECKLIST
The patient portal allows patients to manage their personal health information electronically at their own convenience.