- Location Information
825 North Main St
Providence, RI 02904
P: (401) 521-9700
F: (401) 331-6718
Together: A Better Way To Fight Cancer
At NorthMain Radiation Oncology, we believe that excellent care begins with a skilled and compassionate team of individuals. We have assembled an unmatched team of healthcare professionals dedicated to providing you with the best possible care and services. Your caregiving team consists of a Radiation Oncologist, Radiation Therapists, the Radiation Oncology Nurse, Medical Physicist and a Dosimetrist. Each is committed to you as a patient, treating you as family, and ensuring you are supported from diagnosis to recovery.
NorthMain Radiation Oncology is part of The US Oncology Network (“The Network”), a community of more than 1,400 affiliated physicians with expertise in medical oncology, hematology, radiation oncology, gynecologic oncology, urology, oncology surgery and other specialties. We believe local cancer care is better care. Practices in The Network deliver advanced integrated cancer care supported by a network of independent physicians who share expertise and resources to provide quality, value-based care close to home. The Network practices have more than 400 sites of care in over 25 states and treat over 850,000 patients annually. The Network is supported by McKesson Specialty Health, an industry leader in solutions that empower the community patient care delivery system to advance the science, technology and quality of care.
Nicklas Oldenburg, MD - Medical Director
Dr. Oldenburg’s areas of expertise include prostate, head and neck, and gastrointestinal cancers. He has extensive experience with prostate implants as well as Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT).
Undergraduate: Wake-Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC
Medical School: University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Internship: Beth Israel Hospital
Residency: Harvard Joint Center for Radiation Therapy
Academic Appointment: Clinical Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology, Brown University
• Board Certified in Radiation Oncology
• Massachusetts Medical Society
• American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
• American College of Radiation Oncology
• American College of Clinical Oncology
• Rhode Island Medical Society
• Hong TS, Moughan J, Garofalo MC, Bendell J, Berger AC, Oldenburg NB, Anne PR, Perera F, Lee RJ, Jabbour SK, Nowlan A, DeNittis A, Crane C. NRG Oncology Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 0822: A Phase 2 Study of Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy Using Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy in Combination With Capecitabine and Oxaliplatin for Patients With Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Sep 1;93(1):29-36. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2015.05.005. Epub 2015 May 14.
• Perez K, Safran H, Sikov W, Vrees M, Klipfel A, Shah N, Schechter S, Oldenburg N, Pricolo V, Rosati K, Dipetrillo T. Complete Neoadjuvant Treatment for Rectal Cancer: The Brown University Oncology Group CONTRE Study. Am J Clin Oncol. 2014 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
• Dipetrillo T, Suntharalingam M, Ng T, Fontaine J, Horiba N, Oldenburg N, Perez K, Birnbaum A, Battafarano R, Burrows W, Safran H. Neoadjuvant Paclitaxel Poliglumex, Cisplatin, And Radiation For Esophageal Cancer: A Phase 2 Trial. American Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2012 Feb;35(1):64-7. doi: 10.1097/COC.0b013e318201a126.
• Dipetrillo T, Pricolo V, Lagares-Garcia J, Vrees M, Klipfel A, Cataldo T, Sikov W, McNulty B, Shipley J, Anderson E, Khurshid H, Oconnor B, Oldenburg NB, Radie-Keane K, Husain S, Safran H. Neoadjuvant Bevacizumab, Oxaliplatin, 5-Fluorouracil, And Radiation For Rectal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jan 1;82(1):124-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.08.005. Epub 2010 Oct 13.
• Kaplan ID, Meskell P, Oldenburg NE, Saltzman B, Kearney GP, Holupka EJ. Real-Time Computed Tomography Dosimetry During Ultrasound-Guided Brachytherapy For Prostate Cancer. Brachytherapy. 2006 July-Sep;5(3):147-51
• Oldenburg NB The Role Of Palliative Radiation In The Management Of Brain, Spinal Cord, And Bone Metastases. Med Health RI 2006 February;89(2):59-62
• Kaplan I, Oldenburg NE, Meskell P, Blake M, Church P, Holupka EJ Real-Time MRI-Ultrasound Image Guided Stereotactic Prostate Biopsy Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2002 Apr;20(3):295-9
• Oldenburg, NB, Evans-Storms, R.B., and Cidlowski, JA. In Vivo Resistance To Glucocorticoid-Induced Apoptosis In Rat Thymocytes With Normal Steroid Receptor Function. Endocrinology. 1997; 138(2): 810-818.
• Bortner, C.D., Oldenburg, NB, and Cidlowski, J. The Role of DNA Fragmentation in Apoptosis. Trends in Cell Biology. 1995; 5(1):21-26.
• Norbiato G., Bevilacqua M., Vaga T., Baldi E., Chebat E., Bertora P., Moroni M,., Galli M., and Oldenburg, NB. Cortisol Resistance in Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 1992; 74(3): 608-613.
• Theodore Hong, MD 1, Jennifer Moughan, MS 2, Michael C. Garofalo, MD 3, Johanna Bendell, MD 4, Adam C. Berger, MD 5, Nicklas Oldenburg, MD 6, Maria Werner-Wasik, MD 5, Francisco Perera, MD 7, R. Jeffrey Lee, MD 8, Salma Jabbour, MD 9, Adam Nowlan, MD10, Albert DeNittis, MD 11, Christopher Crane, MD 12 Efficacy outcomes from RTOG 0822, A phase II study of neoadjuvant IMRT with Capecitabine (C) and Oxaliplatin (O) in patients with locally advanced rectal cancer
• Perez K, Pricolo V, Vrees M, Dipetrillo T, Oldenberg N, Klipfel A, Schecter S, Kinsella T, Roth L, Cataldo T, Shah N, Olszewski A, Isdale D, Safran H, Sikov W.
Complete Neoadjuvant Therapy in Rectal Cancer (CONTRE): A Brown University Oncology Research Group Phase II Study. ASCO Gastrointestinal Symposium
Abstract # 335. January 26, 2013. San Francisco, CA.
• Rathore, R., Chougule, P., Oldenburg, NB, et. Al. Phase II Study of Induction Weekly Paclitaxel, Ifosfamide, and Carboplatin followed by Chemoradiotherapy in Locally Advanced Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer: A Brown University Oncology Group study (HN-86). Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005. Vol 23; 514s:5556
• Iannitti, D., DiPetrillo, T., Oldenburg, NB, et. Al. Erlotinib, Gemcitabine, Paclitaxel and Radiation for Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer: A Phase I Study.
Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2004. Vol 22; 336s:4093
• Oldenburg, NBE, et al. Intra-operative Real Time CT-Based Post-Plan Dosimetry During Transrectal Ultrasound Guided (TRUS) Prostate Brachytherapy. American Brachytherapy Society, Vancouver, Canada, April 22-26, 2001
• Oldenburg, NBE, and Calderwood, S. Effect of Radiation on Human RAD50: Mechanisms of Double Stranded DNA Repair. Oral Presentation: 41st Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. San Antonio, TX November 3, 1999.
Donald Joyce, MD
Dr. Joyce’s expertise includes prostate, lung, and head and neck cancers. He has extensive experience with implants for prostate cancer, Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and Sterotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT).
Undergraduate: Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT
Medical School: Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Internship: Walter Reed Army Medical Center , Washington, DC
Residency: National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
Academic Appointment: Clinical Assistant Professor in Radiation Medicine, Brown Medical School
• Board Certified in Internal Medicine
• Board Certified in Radiation Oncology
• American Society for Therapeutic Radiaology and Oncology; American College of Radiation Oncology; American Brachytherapy Society, Rhode Island Medical Society
• Joyce, Donald R., Brereton, H. Commentary - Oncology, Vol. 12, pg. 54,60,62;
• Management of Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer – Intensive Monitoring and Early Intervention May Increase Salvage in High Risk Patients.
• C. Taneja, M.D., J.E. Gervasoni, M.D., R. J. Koness, M.D., D. Joyce, M.D., and H. J. Wanebo, M.D.
• Poster Presentation at the 5th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer San Francisco, CA.
• Preoperative Therapy with Reduced Dose Paclitaxel and Carboplatin and Radiation Achieves A Similar Complete Response Role to A High Dose Regimen, but with Reduced Toxicity in Patients with Advanced Head and Neck Squamous Cancer.
H. Wanebo, M.D., P. Chougule, M.D., N. Ready, M.D., H. Safran, M.D., W. Akerley, M.D., R. J. Koness, M.D., R. McRae, M.D., P. Nigri, M.D., L. Leone, M.D., T. Kennedy, R.N., D. Joyce, M.D. Brown University Oncology Group: Poster Presentation At5th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer
Kathy Radie-Keane, MD
Dr. Radie-Keane’s areas of interest include breast, gynecologic, lymphoma, lung, head and neck, and gastrointestinal cancers. She has experience with Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy, and Breast Brachytherapy
Undergraduate: Emmanuel College, Boston, MA
Medical School: Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Internship: Salem Hospital, Salem, MA
Residency: Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA
Academic Appointment: Clinical Assistant Professor in Radiation Medicine, Brown Medical School.
• Radiation Oncology
• American Board of Radiology
• Rhode Island Medical Society
• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
• American Medical Society
• Khurshid H, DiPetrillo T, Ng T, Mantripagada K, Birnbaum A, Berz D,
• Radie Keane K, Perez K, Constantinou M, Luppe D, Schumacher A, Safran H. A Phase 1 Study Of Dasatinib With Concurrent Chemoradiation For Stage III Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Frontiers in Oncology 2012; 2:56. Epub 2012 May 31
• Lum, L. G., Rathore, R., Cummings, F.J., Colvin, G., Radie-Keane, K., Maizel, A., Quesenberry, P.J., Elfenbein, G.J.: Phase I/II Study of Treatment of Stage IV Breast Cancer with OKT3 x Activated T-Cells. Clinical Breast Cancer; Vol.4, No. 3, 2003
• Taneja, C., Allen, H., Koness, RJ., Radie-Keane, K., Wanebo, HJ.: Changing Patterns Of Failure Of Head And Neck Cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 128: 324-327
• Taneja, C., Wanebo, HJ., Vezeridis, MP., Iannitti, DA., Cummings, F., Radie-Keane, K.,: Adjuvant Therapy Improves Survival In Advanced Gall Bladder Carcinoma.
• K.A. Varker, K. Radie-Keane, R. Rathore, R. J. Koness, H.J. Wanebo, Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI: Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation For Squamous Carcinoma Involving The Mandible Requires Resection To Ensure Long-Term Control. 6th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer.
• Taneja C., Allen H., Koness R.J., Radie-Keane K., Wanebo H.J.: Changing Patterns Of Failure Of Head And Neck Cancer. American Head and Neck Society. May 14-16, 2001. Palm Desert, California.
• Wanebo H.J., Chougule P., Ready N., Safran H., Ackerley W., Leone L., Kennedy T., Reiss P., Radie-Keane K.: Neoadjuvant Therapy For High Stage Head And Neck Cancer Achieves Excellent Loco-Regional Control But Is Still Plagued By Distant Failure. American Head and Neck Society, May 14-16, 2001, Palm Desert, California.
• Wanebo, H.J., Ready N., Safran H., Ackerly W., Koness, R.J., Leone L., Kennedy T., Radie-Keane K.: Preoperative Chemotherapy With Paclitaxel Carboplatin And Radiation Achieves High Rates Of Local Regional Control, But Continued Erosion Of Survival By Distant Disease. American Society of Clinical Oncology, May 12-15, 2001, San Francisco, California.
• Safran H., Iannitti D., Akerman P., Cioffi W., DiPetrillo T., Quirk D., Moore T., Rathore R., Radie-Keane K., Kennedy T., Wanebo HJ.: Paclitaxel And Concurrent Radiation For Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Proc 18:ASCO 2000.
• Safran H., Gaissert P., Akerman P., Hesketh PJ., Koness RJ., Radie-Keane K., Ready N., Fellows H., Akhtar M., Triedman S., Cicchetti GM., Graziano S., Bogart J., Sambandam S., Thomas A., Kornmehl E., McAnaw R., Wanebo H.: Neoadjuvant Paclitaxel, Cisplatin And Radiation For Esophageal Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 17:259a, 1998
• Chougule P., Wanebo H., Akhtar M., Leone L., McRae R., Nigri P., Safran H., Koness R.J., Radie-Keane K., Akerly W., Cole B.: Concurrent Paclitaxel, Carboplatin And Radiotherapy In Advanced Head And Neck Cancers: A Phase II Study. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol, 1468, 1998
• Safran H., Gaissert, H., Akerman P., Koness R.J., Radie-Keane K., Ready N., Fellows N., Akhtar M., Triedman GM, Cicchetti GM., Bogart J., Sambandam S., Thomas A., Kornmehl E., MaAnaw E., Wanebo H.: Neoadjuvant Paclitaxel, Cisplatin And Radiation For Esophageal Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clini Oncol, 994 1998
• Safran H., King T., Choy H., Sikov W., Hesketh P., Wolfe B., Lopez F., Feller E., Gollerkeri E., Stevenson J., Radie-Keane K., Cicchetti G., Wanebo H., Cutitar M., Rosemarin A.: Phase 1 Study Of Paclitaxel And Concurrent Radiation For Locally Advanced Gastric And Pancreatic Cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 15:200, 1996.
• Zwicker, R.D., Radie-Keane, K.: Modified Three-Field Technique For Breast Irradiation. Accepted for poster presentation at the 31st ASTRO meeting, Washington, D.C. November, 1991.
Ahmed A. Chaudhary
Ahmed A. Chaudhary, MD
Dr. Chaudhary received extensive training in Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), and brachytherapy. His areas of interest include prostate cancer, central nervous system malignancies, head and neck cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, and general radiation oncology.
Undergraduate: Tufts University
Medical School: University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Internship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Residency: The University of Chicago, Radiation Oncology
Academic Appointment: Clinical Assistant Professor in Radiation Medicine, Brown Medical School.
• Radiation Oncology
• American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
• American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
• American Brachytherapy Society (ABS)
• Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO)
• Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
• Alpha Omega Alpha Honor medical Society (AOA)
• Rhode island Medical Society
• Li J, Chaudhary A, Chmura SJ, Pelizzari C, Rajh T, Wietholt C, Kurtoglu M, and Aydogan B. A novel functional CT contrast agent for molecular imaging of cancer. Phys Med Biol. 2010 Aug 7;55(15):4389-97.
• Aydogan B, Li J, Rajh T, Chaudhary A, Chmura SJ, Pelizzari C, Wietholt C, Kurtoglu M, and Redmond P. AuNP-DG: Deoxyglucose Labeled Gold Nanoparticles as X-ray Computed Tomography Contrast Agents for Cancer Imaging. Mol Imaging Biol. 2010 Oct;12(5):463-7
• Ting DT, Spitzer TR, Chaudhary A, Muzikansky A, Colby C, Power K, McAfee S, Ballen K, Attar E, Saidman SL, Preffer F, Sykes M, and Dey BR. Clinical outcomes of late rather than early full-donor chimerism in patients with advanced lymphomas receiving nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic SCT. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008;42(5):329-35
• Chaudhary AA, Bair RJ, Bair ED, Partouche J, Witt ME, Villaflor V, Cohen E, Seiwert T, Vokes EE, and Haraf, DJ. Aspiration, gastrostomy-tube dependence, and stricture after chemoradiotherapy for locoregionally advanced head and neck cancer: A prospective study of the dose-volume relationship using induction and concurrent Cetuximab with accelerated radiation with concomitant boost from a phase II trial. Submitted.
• Chaudhary AA, Bair RJ, Bair ED, Partouche J, Witt ME, Villaflor V, Cohen E, Seiwert T, Vokes EE, and Haraf, DJ. Mandibular Osteoradionecrosis after Chemoradiotherapy for Head and Neck Cancer: A Prospective Study of the Dose Effect Relationship in Accelerated Fractionation with Concomitant Boost. Submitted.
• Kasper ME, Chaudhary AA. Novel treatment options for skin cancer: Focus on electronic brachytherapy. Submitted
Presentations and Abstracts:
• A Chaudhary, RJ Bair, ED Bair, J Partouche, ME Witt, V Villaflor, E Cohen, T Seiwert, EE Vokes, and DJ Haraf. Trismus after Chemoradiotherapy for Locoregionally Advanced Head and Neck Cancer: A Prospective Study of the Dose Effect Relationship in Accelerated Fractionation by Concomitant Boost with
Cisplatin and Cetuximab from the Epic Trial. Accepted as Poster Presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 56th Annual Meeting, Sept 12-17, 2014.
• A Chaudhary, RJ Bair, ED Bair, J Partouche, ME Witt, V Villaflor, E Cohen, T Seiwert, EE Vokes, and DJ Haraf. Mandibular Osteoradionecrosis after Chemoradiotherapy for Locoregionally Advanced Head and Neck Cancer: A Prospective Study of the Dose Effect Relationship in Accelerated Fractionation by Concomitant Boost with Cisplatin and Cetuximab from the Epic Trial. Poster Presentation, ASTRO/ASCO Multidisciplinary Head and Neck Cancer Symposium, Feb 20-22, 2014.
• RJ Bair, A Chaudhary (presenter), ED Bair, J Partouche, ME Witt, V Villaflor, E Cohen, T Seiwert, EE Vokes, and DJ Haraf. Dysphagia And Aspiration After Chemoradiotherapy For Locoregionally Advanced Head And Neck Cancer: A Prospective Study Of The Dose Effect Relationship In Accelerated Fractionation By Concomitant Boost With Cisplatin And Cetuximab From The Epic Trial. Oral Presenataion, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 55th Annual Meeting, Sept 22-25, 2013.
• AA Solanki, MH Lemieux, AA Chaudhary, A McCall, S Chmura. Predictive Factors in the Utilization of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy Among Young Women Following Breast Conserving Surgery in the United States: Analysis of a National Commercial and Supplemental Claims Database. Poster Presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 55th Annual Meeting, Sept 22-25, 2013.
• AA Solanki, MH Lemieux, AA Chaudhary, AR McCall, SJ Chmura. Predictive Model for the Utilization of Radiation Therapy in the Adjuvant Therapy of Women With Breast Cancer Following Breast Conserving Surgery: Results From a National Commercial and Supplemental Medicare Claims Database. Poster Presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 55th Annual Meeting, Sept 22-25, 2013.
• ML Pytynia, L Herman, A Chaudhary, TE Darga, R Salgia, J Salama, SJ Chmura. MGMT Promoter Methylation effects on Esophageal Cancer when treated with Radiation Therapy and Temozolomide. Poster presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 52th Annual Meeting, Oct 31 – Nov 4, 2010.
• A Chaudhary, R Southgate, H Fan, WX Song, AG Montag, R Haydon, D Manning, and TC He. Adenoviral Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP) Induced Osteogenic Differentiation of In Vitro C3H10T1/T2 Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Oral Presenataion, The Mid-America Orthopaedic Association, 27th Annual Meeting, April 22-26, 2009
• J Li, T Rajh, C Pelizzari, S Chmura, A Chaudhary, C Wietholt, P Redmond, and B Aydogan. Deoxyglucose Labeled Gold Nanoparticles as X-ray Computed Tomography Contrast Agents for Cancer Imaging. Med Phys. 2009;36(6):2775.
• A.A. Chaudhary, LC Herman, MB Altman, ML Pytynia, JC Roeske, and SJ Chmura. Increased Delivery Time for Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy Decreases Double-Stranded DNA Damage. Poster presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 51th Annual Meeting, November 1-5, 2009.
• LC Herman, AA Chaudhary, SJ Chmura, ML Pytynia, HJ Mauceri, MA Beckett, TE Darga, and RR Weichselbaum. Induction of EGR-TNF Radioinducible Virus through BH3 Domain Antagonism with Chelerythrine Chloride. Oral Presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 51th Annual Meeting, November 1-5, 2009.
• PL Dorn, H Al-Hallaq, A Chaudhary, G Vlacich, and S Chmura. Utility of Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Determining Candidacy for Partial Breast Irradiation. Poster Presentation, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 51th Annual Meeting, November 1-5, 2009.
- 3-D Conformal Radiation Therapy
- Accelerated Partial-breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Calypso 4D Localization System ("GPS for the Body"®)
- Computer Tomography (CT) Scanning & Simulation
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Low-Dose Rate (LDR) Brachytherapy
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Volumetric Arc Therapy (VMAT)
The patient portal allows patients to manage their personal health information electronically at their own convenience.
Click here to access the patient portal.